All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Calling All Purple Pitchforks (Magey Goodness)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:34 pm 

I'd be up for that. : )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm 

I'd be interested in joining, but haven't built a character yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 pm 

This was done once on the WhiteWolf Unmoderated Chat. It was not a chantry though, it was a mass npc Caren, The Caren of the SilverMoon.
What happened with it was the inevitable. Half of the wolf players decided to acknowledge the npc caren as existing, and half did not. Some of them, of course, abused that caren's existence, using it as 'the law of the land' ( which always supported their ooc opinion of how the game should be played.) when encountering characters not involved in that caren or scept.

It also had the down side of forcing people who wanted to ignore each other to put up with each other's existence because, well, everyone else in the caren recognized them as 'real'.

Another down side was that if one really influential caren player, ooc, decided they didn't like you or the way you played, they would generally force everyone else to dismiss your existence as well.

I sort of remember it, because I had been involved in its aftermath as AndreaKerken.

UP Side, it gave some structure to the characters who accepted it. Downside, it sort of forced the characters who didn't accept it to play in 'a world apart' from the characters who did. It was fun however, until finally the caren was destroyed.

Anyway. I think a really good way to handle the chantry would be with an in character/ out of character forum post. People could sign up, ooc, and IC as well. As to its policies and practices, rulings, etc, I think it should be left up to a vote of its members, conducted over the forum.

In this way chantry leadership could be an NPC character that no one controls directly IC.

I would vote that this faceless NPC be a Hermetic Mage. A master lost on the other side of the umbra, whom communicates to his fellows left on this side via a polemic pda and a laptop. But that's just my idea. Sort of a way to justify his never appearing in person in character.

Anyway, running it as a room on the chat, and as a forum post on here, could help keep people updated with the 'chantry news'.
In any event, in my opinion, there is no way to do this without it being a semi closed chronicle. As for instance, I have little doubt the majority of the people involved here have little want to accept game play with my little Heather Child. As such, joining such a chantry, or even just having her hang around in it would be problematic ic, as it would force several people to either 'not be involved' or 'accept a character they don't agree with into their game'. Which are all concepts subject to a semi closed chronicle.

GSR.