All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Camarilla or Sabbat?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:14 pm 

Hi, I am new to this forum, and the World of Darkness in general, and I noticed that many people prefer the Sabbat instead of the Camarilla. I, being a coward pacifist, choose Camarilla, even though they are wrong on their opinions concerning Gehenna.
So, which one do you prefer, and why? It intrigues me to know what other players think, and might help me understand Vampire better.
(I am not creating a poll of this, because I would like to hear the reasons you choose one as well..)

Post subject: Re: Camarilla or Sabbat?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

I don't play a lot of Vampire myself, but in general I think people do love to play the villain. And at the same time, White Wolf has made the "bad guys" more in the grey area in many cases -- instead of making them outright "evil," they put a more realistic bent on it, making their motivations and philosophies something that makes sense, if in a twisted way.

When I do play Vampire, I probably play about 50/50 as far as Cam/Sabbat goes. I like to play a variety of character types, from good guys to bad guys to dark heroes, and everything between.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 pm 

Surprise, surprise, I choose the middle road, to be honest - the Independants. Much as I like the sabbat, you don't need to be blinded by pretending to be a cattle, but you don't need to jump on the suckhead-cult bandwagon of vampiric religion, either. The Independents and Anarchs vie for freedom to be whatever they can be, can still walk Paths beyond humanity, and generally kowtow to clan politics more than the broader aspects of government / theocracy that the Cam or Sabbat provides.

That, and some of the best clans and bloodlines hail from the Middle Fence, like the Samedi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:44 am 

Generally i go for sabbat, this is primarily because i grew tired of cammarilla games and there lack of robust flavor.

The sabat has a rich cultural backdrop and i love the ceremonious nature yet rebel pragmatic dogma that it entails. With the antitribu it also offers the most varied roleplaying options of the sects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:03 pm 

Thanks for answering, everyone. It is true that Camarilla has a stick up the bum and you can count on them to stab you in the back.. Then again won't the Sabbat do the same? Perhaps in your face. I can see the appeal of the dark side, however. Because they always have the best chocolate cookies. :twisted:
I don't know much about the anarchs; I suppose they can be really cool or unlikable like everything else, depending on the city and the setting - I have yet to meet one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm 

I prefer the Camarilla. I like the structure and rules. I like to be involved, but not entirely responsible for everything. I like social and political interactions. I don't like combat.