All times are UTC - 5 hours

What do you think about defining a city setting for the unmods?
I don't like the idea 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I'm not sure whether I like it or not 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I like it 89%  89%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: WoD Setting Info?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

I've gotten a few questions about the setting of the unmods. I had originally planned for them to have no real setting, per se. This to promote people to be able to do whatever they want. Want a scene on the docks? Sure. In the desert outside of town? No problem. In the rainforests just a few miles South? Go for it!

But, the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe no setting is a bit too unstructured. What do you all think about actually defining the city that the unmods are in? Of course this would not include things like who is Prince, what Chantries are in power, or anything of that nature. It would be more like, "Here's the general layout of the city, here are the neighborhoods/districts and some notable locations and NPCs in each that you can feel free to play out."

So, vote, and feel free to add comments as replies. For example, "I voted for the idea, but I want to give this caveat..."

Post subject: Re: WoD Setting Info?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:05 pm 

I guess to start this off, when it comes to the city, I've always compared/modeled it after Buffalo, New York for various reasons. One, if the city were as popular as somewhere like New York City or Hollywood, there wouldn't be as much room for the mystery, nor for the variety of places within the city (Woods, Bars, Clubs, Boardwalk, etc.) in such close proximity. Two, for those who don't live on the Northern East Coast, the atmosphere is more suitable; night falls a bit heavier in the mountainous areas, the weather is a touch more extreme, but the splendor of the wilderness is both breath-taking and commanding. Lastly, a location such as Buffalo affords two things, that being for more sociable characters, access to the many cities that dot the coasts of the U.S. for expansion into urban settings, and on the other side, being situated right on the very edge of where the populous coast gives way to the vast, scarcely populated Appalachians. That sort of location would make more sense for hosting such a wide varied group.
(Image of Buffalo skyline for visual aide.)

Post subject: Re: WoD Setting Info?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

I was planning to make it a fictitious city, pulling elements from existing cities to make it something familiar, but something flexible as well. As a silly example, think Springfield in The Simpsons -- there is a major body of water, mountains, lakes, and a desert nearby. That allows the writers the freedom to do many things.

However, what the setting should be like will be a discussion for another thread. I have some good ideas in mind, but it's still coming together up in the grey matter.