All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where were we?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:32 am 

TL;DR: I was getting a little lost in the static and needed s'more structure for things to make some sense for my character. These are simply assumptions that I'm playing with on my characters. Feel free to use or disregard as much or as little of this as you like.

My OCD has been giving me absolute fits these last few nights. Jumping from scene to scene, locale to locale, I kept getting caught up on, "Which way did I go," or "How long did it take to get here?" I was adrift in a sea of indefinite articles, blown about by a storm of conjunctions, adverbs, and suspended disbelief. In order to protect my sanity and make it a little easier to immerse and get lost in the World of Darkness. The trouble really could be summed up with the answer to the question, "Where were we?" By pulling from snippets that I can recall from the old text chats before New Bremen, and again from New Bremen, I've tried to find a place on the US map that meets all of the necessary criteria to be Necropolis. Based on its location, canon events in the region, and available landmarks, I've stitched together a nice little midsized town that is between multiple established vampire domains, amidst rich Garou territory, in an area with a rich mortal history, making for an ample wraith population, and room for oodles of changelings, magi, hunters, and whatever other critters show up.

Now, this is the Unmoderated Chat. There absolutely positively nothing that indicates that anyone has to use any of what I'll be putting together in this thread. There is no reason, whatsoever, that you should have to play under any of the assumptions that I'm putting in here. While playing, however, this thread will serve as a repository of assumptions that I'll be playing under--just the minimum amount of structure to get some idea of where things are happening and who's doing what to whom. By adding a little bit more structure and shape to the city, it permits and makes viable things like influence, sectarian conflict, and the sort.

Now, of course, I don't play all venues, I don't know what everyone is into, and just who is doing what, or how. Please, if I've missed a point, if I've glazed over something that's important to you, or just if you feel like contributing some part of YOUR vision of Necropolis, do it to it! Let me know! Much like Wikipedia, add in whatever part of the whole picture you want, to help make it all make sense. If I make an assumption or color outside of someone's lines--let me know. I am not a proud man; I'm not doing this as a matter of ego. I just want to try make a little more sense out of what's going on around me.

In the following posts, I'll be covering a little bit more of this and that to flesh out this crazy little idea of mine. And so, without further ado... The table of contents:

================TABLE OF CONTENTS================
1. FAQ
2. Systems
3. Local History
4. The Lay of the Land
4a. Mortal Points of Interest
4b. Hunter Points of Interest
4c. Magi Points of Interest
4d. Changeling Points of Interest
4e. Garou, et al. Points of Interest
4f. Vampire Points of Interest
4g. Wraith Points of Interest
5. Umbra
6. Dreaming
7. Underworld
8. Current Events
9. Notes/Other
10. TBD

================UPDATE HISTORY================
4 March 2012: Groundwork laid, template arranged, graphics begun.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: FAQ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 am 

1. Frequently Asked Questions

More Coming Soon...

Q: Is this a new Chronicle?
A:
Yes and no. This is simply setting information that some have chosen to utilize to get a number of people, "all on the same page," as it were.

Q: This is neat, who is the ST for this game?
A:
No one. This is collaborative storytelling, and the guidelines are as simple as, "Don't be a Dick," and "Play Nice."

Q: How are rules disputes handled without an ST?
A:
In whatever way seems fair. Functioning methods include looking up a rule, discussing the issue in PM's, asking an unbiased third party, or if play is being bogged down too much by rules question and an agreement cannot be reached, both players should roll one die and the highest roller's rule is used until the ruling can be looked up and confirmed.

Q: Whoever wrote this totally messed up where X is in the city, or totally butchered the history of Y. It should be fixed!
A:
Excellent! Thank you for filling me in. Please PM me on the forum or make a reply post here and let me know what is inaccurate or poorly researched, and I'll get it fixed post-haste. I'd hope that we can craft consensual reality at its finest!

Q: What the hell? It's been months and you haven't posted anything about The Tempest, The Far Dreaming, The Deep Umbra, etc.!
A:
I don't play in all of the various settings, so I don't always have information on how a certain area looks or feels, and it's best left to people who DO play in those areas to help "get it right." Let me know what's missing and help me fill it in, and we'll flesh things out as we go.

Q: Holy crap, this is long. Do I need to read this whole thing? I'll be here forever.
A:
No, no, no. Not at all--this is intended to end up like any other splatbook. Read through it if you want--but more than anything, it's a place to go to reference individual pieces of information. If you're playing a mortal character and walk into an area that's established as a werewolf Caern where there's a moot being held and you want to know why there's a raging tsunami of fur and fangs heading straight for your character, this would just be a handy place to look up little tidbits like that.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Systems
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 am 

2. Systems

House Rules:
Mental Powers/Disciplines & Willpower Expenditure: (Submitted by Erika York) Because the activation of a power that affects or alters the mental state of another (such as Dominate) implies that a person's willpower is being exerted over another person's, they may not spend Willpower for an automatic success.

Experience:
My main character will no longer be accruing experience, but as I begin playing other characters, a reasonable experience point progression should be observed in order to avoid gaining power too quickly or stagnating. As such, I'll be following the following guidelines. I invite any input on the topic, however and will adjust as needed. Experience is accrued weekly on Sunday.

Quote:
Quote:
1xp: Light play during the week. 1-3 days.*
2xp: Heavy play during the week. 4-6 days.*
1xp: Good RP: If someone goes out of their way to indicate that a scene was some kind of awesome.
1xp: Survival: If your character was in a life-threatening situation that could lead to character death and survived the conflict.
1xp: Heroics: Saved a life? Prevented Armageddon? Kept Cthulhu from waking? If your character accomplished the end of some great heroic endeavor, take an extra XP.
1xp: Character discovery: If you learned something new that lends depth and flavor to your character that you did not know before.**

* - A day's play is an uninterrupted period of greater than an hour active in an IC room.
** - This doesn't mean, "Jim the Mage learned that Sally was a bastet." This is some kind of major existentialist crap. Real "plumbing the depths of the soul" type of discoveries.

Player Character Death:
Player killing is serious business. People invest a lot of time and a lot of effort into making their characters have substance and meaning. Player death only occurs when BOTH parties are willing. Just because you're okay ending your character doesn't mean that someone else wants their character walking around with that guilt. Also, character death should only occur when it is dramatically appropriate, and never EVER a an emotional response. Things to ask oneself before getting involved in such a heavy scene: Does it advance the story? Does it improve the quality of roleplay? Am I killing this character because I am mad or upset OOC? As long as both parties consent, the situation is dramatically appropriate, and it's being done as a rational improvement for the RP and not as an emotional response, then go ahead.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Local History
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 am 

3. Local History

It was the early 19th century when on the shores of the west coast of Lake Michigan the first foundations of the now-great metropolis Chicago were laid down. A few years earlier, almost directly across the lake, a small town had popped up, called New Haven. As with so many cities before each of them, the damnable bloodsuckers were involved. The "New Old," as some of the relatively thin-blooded elders fleeing Europe were called, were looking to set up their own kingdoms across the Atlantic. Two methuselahs: one Brujah, the other Toreador, had been feuding in the area before it was settled by the whites. At first, they had battled over the growth and development of the city of Chicago, but when Pale Wolf, the Brujah Methusela, gained an early advantage, Helena, the Toreador, set her sights on another fast-growing township, in order to better hedge her bets, in the event that the Pale Wolf managed to stamp out her allies in Chicago. Both cities did very well initially, growing rapidly as valuable forts and ports.

From the mid-1830's until 1871, the cities both advanced quickly, growing well. In October of 1871, though, disaster struck Chicago and over three square miles of the city burned. The source of the conflagration is in dispute to this day. Some blame the mages. Some, vampires vying for power. Others say it was early hunters, looking to stamp out some threat to humanity. Regardless of who or what initiated the blaze, it served to do for the metropolis what a forest fire does for the trees. The blaze in Chicago heralded the beginning of an intense period of rebuilding, growth, and an outpouring of sympathy from a number of factions and interests. The chaos following the fire caused the Pale Wolf's puppet prince to falter, costing him the seat--and allowing Helena's pawn to be inserted into that place of power. While she feverishly worked through her proxies to shore up her control of Chicago, she allowed her focus to fall off of New Haven. While it continued to grow and flourish, it did so as a vineyard without the gentle hand of a vintner to trim, maintain, and direct its growth. Soon the town was a city. It seemed clear that this city would be a proper metropolis in just a few decades, but that was not to be.

In the earliest days of the 20th century, New Haven got its port first. Steel mills, manufacturing factories, warehouses all grew. It seemed that this mortal-driven natural wonderland might catch up and even eclipse the growth of Chicago. Just to the east of New Haven, along another Great Lake another city had been growing. Detroit was no small success as a center of growth and industry--and it had just fallen to The Sabbat. Suddenly, New Haven found itself in a very precarious position. To the west was a long-held, critical stronghold of Camarilla power. To the northwest was Milwaukee; an outlying puppet of the Chicagoan Prince. To the north was all wild lands, populated by the shapeshifters who had been killed off and forced back to allow for the growth of the cities. To the south, there were naught but smaller towns or suburbs who served Chicago more directly. New Haven was caught between a rock and a hard place, and the city's long-held matron suddenly found the mistake she had made. By failing to hold or develop her interests in the East, she left her power base open to erosion from the Sabbat's growth. Suddenly, New Haven's influence and wealth were being drained in every direction. The metropolis-to-be was now foundering, and set the pace for the rest of the city's future history--and that's when it earned the nickname by which the city would be known better than its proper incorporated name: Necropolis.

Necropolis, The Dead City. Its murder rate didn't help the reputation. The hulking steel mills and silent ports on the lake did not, either. Nominally, Necropolis was claimed by the Prince of Chicago as a part of his Domain, but it did nothing was done to enforce such claims--it was too close to Detroit and too much of a liability to commit any serious resources to its development. At best, several spies and scouts were kept in place to keep tabs on the area. The Sabbat had little interest in the city, as their Archbishop and Bishops were more heavily focused on the contested territories in and around New York. With the ever-present threat of the Garou, the presence of a leyline nexus attracting both the Mage and Changeling populations to the area, Necropolis became a kind of uneasy, unofficial, untended, and unmoderated neutral ground. It was a paradoxical place: Because there were no holds barred, and nothing and no one to keep things in check, no one moved against anyone else. It was a kind of strange, unspoken truce that kept the city propped up and working. It was hard to say how or why--but it did. And so far, into the early years of the 21st century, that's been enough.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Lay of the Land
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 am 

4. Lay of the Land

More Coming Soon...

Regional Map:

City Map:

Waypoints Numbered from left to right, top to bottom.

1. Michigan State Beach Park
2. New Haven Regional Airport
3. Raske Guns and Ammo
4. Endron Industrial Park
5. Eastshore Mall and Cinneplex
6. New Haven Yacht Club and Pier
7. Downtown
8. Sunshine City Amusement Park
9. Boardwalk, "City of the Dead."
10. New Haven Plaza Shopping Mall
11. Infinity Chantry
12. King Breweries and Distillery
13. Lake Meadow Estates
14. Eastland Nature Preserve/Moonfall Lake

Downtown:

More coming, soon.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Mortals
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 am 

4a. Mortal Interests

Coming Soon...

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Hunters
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 am 

4b. Hunter Interests

Coming Soon.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Magi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:36 am 

4c. Magi Interests

Coming Soon.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Changelings

4d. Changeling Interests

Coming Soon.

Post subject: The Garou and Company

4e. Shapeshifter Interests

Coming Soon.

Last edited by asterixchaos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.