All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Vampire Order / Vampire Sanctum
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 pm 

I'm not certain what was a personal insult, Maven. I know I insulted characters that I witnessed being thick, but even after a thorough rereading of my posts, I don't see any attack on a player.

For that reason alone, I guess I need to add the addendum "I don't care who you are or what you think OOC." My post was an impolite suggestion and it's the exact same suggestion I make every time this situation rears its ugly head and I have to look at it. Take time to observe the EW and you'll see this vapid nonsense muttered about by everyone about one venue or the other. I'm not going to apologize for the way I say it, because we all know that I don't have much of a filter save for profanity and even that one slips sometimes.

You did bring up the exact same point I made though, that the players DO need to drive the story if they want it to remain unmoderated and have some modicum of success. For that, I doff my cap to you. I'd like to see one venue on this chat actually make a name for itself that doesn't involve the words "Crap" "Twinked out" and "Don't bother" when it's spoken of. There was nothing silly about last night's scene. It was absurd and if that's your idea of fun, good on you then.

Take it or leave it, it's only one opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 pm 

Kay, so that's what I get for doing a quick reading over lunch. Sorry, references to character names and player actions set the post off on a bad note. And then all the criticism of characters just set the rest in a negative tone for me.

But to reference the topic at hand, I very much agree we should get a stronger political base going, fueled by character politics and intrigue. But my point was how about we don't complain about the little things but instead focus on making the changes, such as getting the council set up?
Its an idea I've seen tossed about by more than one person recently but no one steps up to do it. No one disagrees it should happen (or I haven't heard it) but no one want to do it themselves.
(and thus, so as to not be a hypocrite..)
How about this; Pick a time, pick a date, have a meeting. Everyone who shows can make their power grab. Give characters a level cap if you want (though for a Primogen council we should still have characters with quite a bit of clout.) Players can even post to here what clans they are bringing to the table and maybe we can get the major bases covered. If everyone elects instead to run Sabbat then we can move things that way but ideally there will be a smattering of everything and the beginnings of some good politics will emerge.

With a Harpy to check the attitudes and the prestation system AsterixChaos suggested I think a lot of good things can happen and relatively quickly if we can get everyone on the same page with at least that much. (Can I get an Amen!?)

I personally HAVE seen a lot of good story come from the Sanctum and have spent a good deal of enjoyable time there on several characters (from neonate to OP). I like a good many of those characters I've met there and would like to see them continue. We are all in agreement that right now is not its finest hour, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. We can rework this without the total world wipe you seem to be championing, and inevitably old characters who are no longer relevant will filter out and be replaced by things more suited for the new game landscape.

And whatever may or may not be my idea of fun, I'd like to point out that if 9 players are in a room and active, probably someone is enjoying it a least a little. I like UNmod because I have quite enough rules to remember in my everyday life, i REALLY don't want to have to think about what is or isn't allowed in my hobby time. While I DO like to keep to the setting/rules as described in the books, I also bear in mind that others may play here for other reasons. So while I'll always err on the side of rules as written, I will give a LOT more freedom to the Golden Rule here and let others play how they like.
Negatives will always be obvious, but there is a lot of good in every venue if you're willing to wade in with an open mind and find it.

SO!!! How does next Friday sound? (or Monday is a holiday for many if we're impatient.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 pm 

I'm not in favor of tossing out the Giovanni storyline just because it had loose connections with Marcus and Sanctum. If y'all come to some consensus and the Giovanni line i have going is non-canon, thats less than ideal but we will live with it. I'd prefer some form of interaction but I'm not tossing out several people's characters and hard work because Sanctum is in a rough patch. That idea is a non-starter for me. Sorry to disappoint!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm 

I didn't say anything about the other sects, my post was specifically to boost the intrigue of a Camarilla council. While I understand the argument of "There's always a bigger fish", I think it's imperative that the budding Camarilla be on a line so that there IS no pointing fingers and complaining. The best way to do that is to pare down to a mutually agreed on level of character.

My mention of this is due to the rampant dot-tossing I see constantly. Characters who were "embraced" decades ago with more dots on their sheets than the average methuselah. It imbalances the ability to create a storyline around a delicate balance of power.

The giovanni gang is their own thing and they interact, spiffy. I'm down with that and totally not pointing at any of youse guys ( ;) ) and saying "FIX YOURSELF". Far from it. This was aimed at creating a good structural base for the Camarilla. I did mention in my post saying "STFU and GTFO" which was more a statement of the tension that's supposed to surround the Camarilla interacting with "The Family". Sorry if that seemed mean, it wasn't supposed to be.

I'm usually on in the evenings, so feel free to PM me at your leisure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:08 pm 

I play Simon Winchester.

He is a graphic novelist and amateur kickboxer. He is also a Western Dhampir. I have not gotten into the scene too much, since the last guy I played with turned out to be a twink and that was a year ago. I am just getting back into the swing of things here on the unmod. But would love to see some actual good rp.

Honestly not sure where Simon stands with the Sabbat. He doesn't know anything really except that he should stay away from vampires. So if there is room for some Dhampir action in this, please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 pm 

Getting a time set for a meeting where we are all together is tough due to geographic locations of players.

I'd love for my Ventrue to be part of reorganizing the Camarilla in this city though. She's not a starting character, but also not an Elder. I'm hoping to create a Harpy coterie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:46 pm 

Boiledfrogs, it sounds like you and i are on the same page. The people I've talked to about this topic all want a Cammie SL going on with a premo council that will eventually elect a Prince on their own right. Sadly, that means someone has to coordinate.

.....any takers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm 

I'll gladly orchestrate, but I don't intend to sit on everyone. I'm in the process of building a statement to be made ICly which I will post to both this forum and Moo's nightschildren board. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm 

There are news here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=6539#p6539

Hopefully it wont finish like in "Dracula 2000", where everyone of Cainites been gathered and slaughtered. ( *coughs and points to npk treaty topic*)

Friday MIdnight...For Europe it's 6 am Saturday. Let it be worth it, barbaric time :roll: j/k I'll try to show there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:14 pm 

Thanks for the plug, Julian. And no--nothing that I have planned is for anything like a slaughterfest. There may be some surprises, perhaps even the appearance of a long-missing character. Maybe even cute little pats on the head and vastly powerful magical gifts handed out. Or was it vastly powerful pats on the head and cute little magical gifts...? It's all secret as to what will actually be going down, so... Be there, unless you want to just read about it on the forum and wiki!

Either way, all kidding aside--it's not going to be anything horrible, I have no plans for character death, nor even for anything akin to combat. All that will be coming from me, through Alex, will consist of a social scene, and hopefully some progression and development within the non-Sabbat, non-Giovanni vampire storyline. I hope everyone involved enjoys what I've got planned. Some may not, but--hey! Just because I'm throwin' plot elements out here doesn't mean anyone has to swallow it.

That's the beauty of Unmod: Everything you desire is just one hand-wave and a red line away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next