All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Calling All Purple Pitchforks (Magey Goodness)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am 

Backgrounds are (new rating x3) experience, so buying the first dot of Chantry would cost you 3 points. The second dot is 6 points (on top of the first 3), the 3rd dot is 9 more points, etc.

In terms of using it for enchanting, there isn't really a "for Enchanting" background for a Chantry - Chantries have the same kinds of backgrounds as characters do, the most relevant ones probably being Arcane, Library, Node and Resources (to see what kind of physical space it can afford). But you could say something like wanting to add Resources for a separate enchanting area. Unfortunately, the only Background that directly affects magic for enchanters works by removing Paradox, so that won't be much use for a Sorcerer...

Pitchforks and Pentagrams

Last edited by picturetheory on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:31 am 

Okay I like the idea of that. I know I have six experience points. Been roleplaying Noah every day so getting my .5 xp for that too. So let me know when we are ready to build the Chantry and I will bring 2-3 background dots in Chantry.

We can use Noah's Chantry points for resources. For stuff needed for enchanting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:17 am 

If possible, I'd appreciate it if we could do this the other way around, with you letting me know how many Chantry points you intend to put in first. The entire point of this thread is to see who's interested in participating and willing to have a certain degree of IC commitment; the idea is that people who put OOC Chantry points in are the ones who are forming the Chantry in-character, so it's up to them to decide what form they want it to take.

The whole reason I suggested this in the first place is so that Mage players could have a chance to collaborate and build something that the entire venue can use. The best way I can think of to keep everything fair is to say that the people who are willing to contribute the most will have the most say in how things develop. I also don't want to be the person that makes all the decisions; if I wanted to have the final word on everything I'd just run a closed chronicle. I'm happy to push the Chantry idea ahead, but I'd appreciate it if people could be as specific as possible when they say what they're able/willing to contribute.

Pitchforks and Pentagrams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:34 pm 

Dre - Akashic Brotherhood.

I'm not opposed to contributing to the Chantry, but I'd rather him start as an outsider and earn his way in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 pm 

Player of Michael LeVay here, I can put dots in if absolutely needs be, but if the chantry is just going to be a hangout for the mages, my personal opinion is why bother? But if you absolutely want dots, I can have Vaan Geralt or Michael take 3-5 dots here or there. Since this is going to be an open, and not a closed chron, I will cycle in and out Vaan and Michael for mage roleplay. Due to our discussions about power levels, I will not be bringing Michael Paine, or Damien Paine (who are both above arete 3) into roleplay with this group (for obvious reasons, the big boys don't play in the kiddie pool). Lemme know where and on whom you'd like to see dots. But in a realm like unmods where XP and freebies have no meaning beyond what meaning others choose to place on them, it seems to me a non-sequitor, just make the room and they will come. Remember also chantry points can be used in all sorts of things, including labs the enchanter sorceror can make use of (though they will really apply little to no benefit to a sorceror from a mechanical dice rolling standpoint usually, though I suppose its not hard to make the negative diff on arete rolls count towards sorcery too...that would be homeruling though I believe). For the person asking question about XP and buying backgrounds, there is no hard and fast rules on that matter for most systems. Sorceror revised and Mage revised say's its New Rating X3, Most other systems state background dots cannot be bought with XP at all, and are gained according to storyteller approval. According to canon, past the creation stage, backgrounds are meant to be earned or lost via roleplay, its why there is no XP cost for them in those systems, Mage however seems an exception. The -freebie- cost table can be found on Pg.88 MtA Core Rulebook (revised). And its one per dot. The XP table can be found on pg.131 MtA Core Rulebook (revised) and it puts it on par with what sorceror revised states, and thats New Rating X 3.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm 

...and of course -now- i see there was a page 2 to this thread wherein the questions were already answered, sorry for being an echo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 am 

Brittany avery has not been on lately cause she is in a foul mood with people on the site. But last time we talked, she was making this a closed chronicle now with a few people joining for the Chantry.

I have made a new character for this and took 5 dots of Chantry. My character is Nick Hellerman a Son of Ether Mage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:38 pm 

Hm. Not a big fan of it turning into a closed chronicle. So, ah well. My Mage will just have to find a chantry/cabal/people to hang with elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 pm 

I have an open Chantry available for those in dire need, however, it belongs to the Akashic Brotherhood - though does allow other Dragons of the East - so any other Tradition mages won't be asked to join as full members. They are welcome to visit, though, and take refuge there. Taking advantage of the resources the Chantry supplies will require a member of the Chantry to vouch for you.

If you have questions regarding the Akashic Chantry, ask me.

TheMikey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:11 pm 

Closed chron? Well that's a pity. I was really looking forward to some open mage roleplay, prefferably sans dramatics. Just a buncha people looking to play a fun game. Seem's alas, drama inevitably infects all we do =( I say we go ahead an make an open chantry anyways, and just throw ourselves out there into play. Brit's idea was a good one as it stood at the outset. And mikey your Akashic chantry sounds cool, but it kinda enforces an akashic chronicle. Why don't we all just put together a chantry in the vein in which we started?